The former Novartis site offers a once in a generation opportunity to create a new sustainable neighbourhood that will underline Horsham’s ambition to meet the challenges of the 21st century. The proposals will deliver a range of modern and flexible enterprise opportunities, well designed new homes, including affordable, and a new local centre that will serve the site and draw in the wider community.
- Up to 300 new homes (including 35% affordable housing and the usual financial contributions towards local facilities and infrastructure required by all new developments).
- Up to 25,000 square metres of new employment space. Regenerating a formerly developed site in an important high profile location in a manner that respects the heritage of Horsham.
- The development will be set out in a manner that protects and enhances the setting of the locally listed building and nearby conservation area.
- Economic benefits include construction and permanent job opportunities, increased local retail spending power, significant council tax and revenues to support new and improved infrastructure.
- Retain important existing trees and plant additional as part of the redevelopment of the site.
- The site has good access to nearby two rail stations, public transport and town centre facilities, accessible on foot or on bicycle.
What happens next?
Having passed through the important stage of securing outline planning permission to develop the site, West Sussex County Council is currently undertaking a public procurement process to identify a suitable development partner. The process started on 3rd July 2020 and is well underway. The successful development partner should be confirmed in the early part of 2021. In the meantime, the vacant site is currently managed by security staff.
In order to ensure that development can begin as soon as possible, some initial work will be undertaken to prepare the site for construction, protect any landscaping and buildings that will be retained, and conduct additional surveys.
If you would like to be kept informed about the progress of the development, would like further details about the enabling works programme, or would like further information about what it will entail, you can register for updates.